Powered By Blogger

Sunday 31 January 2016

How To Live With People You Don't Get On With

When you have to of course.

Whether it's a sibling, parent, other half, friend or a complete stranger, it's never good to snap at someone over something that probably isn't even that big of a deal. Which could also probably have been avoided or talked about calmly. God knows everyone has bad days, hell, I sure have, but that can make living with someone a total nightmare and incredibly uncomfortable if you end up arguing all the time.

If this said someone is rude to you, or messy or keeping you awake at night, talk to them first. If you do it politely they are more likely to listen to you and do as you are asking, whereas if you shout at them, you may not get anywhere with your issue.

I've had firsthand experience at asking my housemates calmly to be quiet the following morning as well as exploding at them in the middle of the night because I couldn't take it anymore. And guess which one worked the best?

If you can't talk to them about it or they continue to ignore your polite requests, find something that calms you or, just remind yourself, living with someone you don't get on with isn't forever. Hopefully. Count down the days until you can move out if needs be.

Living with family, friends or other halves is probably more of a learning curve of compromise and gritting your teeth. Plus, you probably wanted to live with them at some point. Whereas, living in a shared house is just ideal at the time.

I have 3 housemates that, I don't know whether it's because of their culture, but are incredibly, incredibly noisy all of the damn time. Whether it's stomping up the stairs, or slamming their bedroom doors or even just talking in the kitchen - which by the way is the furthest point in the house from my bedroom. Then there's one of them that constantly looks and talks down on me, who has such a close-minded view of things that it is very infuriating to try and get my point across. In fact, I'm pretty sure he does things just to annoy me sometimes.

It helps that I've got at least one housemate I get on really well with. We both feel the same pains and talking about it together is a good way to vent our feelings! If not, then I usually rant over the phone to my boyfriend or my mum! Lucky them.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is: not everybody gets along fine all of the time. You just have to look at things rationally and try to keep a cool head whether you like it or not. Living in Uni halls and now a shared house for the past three years has definitely enabled me to learn about what I'm like to live with as well as many other types of people!

Only a few more months and maybe, just maybe, I can finally move out of this place...


No comments:

Post a Comment