Powered By Blogger

Monday 30 May 2016

Warbreaker

By Brandon Sanderson. 

Narrated by James Yaegashi.
























[Warbreaker is the story of two sisters, who happen to be
princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser
god who doesn't like his job, and the immortal who's still trying
to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago. Their
world is one in which those who die in glory return as gods to
live confined to a pantheon in Hallandren's capital city and
where a power known as BioChromatic magic is based on an
essence known as breath that can only be collected one unit at a
time from individual people. By using breath and drawing upon
the colour in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and
mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable
quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna
and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong,
reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the
Warbreaker.]

It's strange, I work with audiobooks every day and, yet, it took a friend recommending Audible to me before I actually gave it a go and started listening to them.

I wasn't sure if I'd get on with them at all and initially it was a struggle (you have to concentrate on listening attentively, blocking out any unnecessary mind-wandering or reading of texts, etc, otherwise you'll probably realise you have no idea what just happened and have to go back a minute or so!) 

But, now, I can't stop listening to them or eagerly awaiting my next credit to be given to me once a month.

Anyways, Warbreaker.

Wow. This was fan. tas. tic.

It hooked me right from the beginning. The world created was so bold and clear in my imagination thanks to all of the very, very detailed description Sanderson used.

I loved the narrator's voice, James Yaegashi. His voices for different characters really helped me to visualise and differentiate between them. He also reminded me of Stephen Moyer from True Blood with his southern drawl.

Lightsong and the God King were my favourite characters. Lightsong was funny, charming and caring even though he tried to give off the vibe that he was lazy and couldn't be bothered with anything, always making jokes. Whereas, the God King, Susebron, was sweet and gentle in his masculine, intimidating body. I can't say too much else without giving a lot away about these two characters, but overall I think the whole story came together perfectly with a lot of revelations at the end.

It was just brilliant.

I am definitely going to be listening/reading to more of Sanderson's books!!



No comments:

Post a Comment