Powered By Blogger

Thursday 2 June 2016

The Mortal Instruments: Book One, City of Bones

By Cassandra Clare.

I'm a bit off this week, what with the bank holiday and having Friday off too!

And I know I've been writing a lot of reviews lately but that's because I've been an unprepared nancy of late and need to get my butt in gear and prepare you some more interesting posts!

Definitely some on the way, I promise.

For now though, I've been wanting to read The Mortal Instruments series for a while now, especially after seeing the film a few years ago.



[Clary Fray is seeing things: vampires in Brooklyn and
werewolves in Manhattan. Irresistibly drawn to the
Shadowhunters, a secret group of warriors dedicated
to ridding the earth of demons, Clary encounters
the dark side of New York City - and the
dangers of forbidden love.]

So, even just reading the blurb again, I can see that this may look a little like one of those predictable and cheesy books. Don't get me wrong, some of it really is, but it's actually a lot better than I expected as well and so easy to read!

Clary, the protagonist, was a little young for me to really engage with - especially everything she managed to get herself in to. However, I did thoroughly enjoy the plot.

I enjoyed the different fantasy elements and the dialogue was excellent, although there was some rambling in places that wasn't really needed. The characters were well developed and I grew to know all of their motivations through their actions and the way others spoke of them, even if they were the antagonists.

Jace and Magnus Bane were my favourites with their sarcasm, wit and charm. Luke was a character that also grew on me the more I read. Clary, on the other hand, was whiney and irritating, especially as she kept forgetting all about Simon. No one forgets about their best friend, no matter how interesting their new life has become.

And the ending! Even though I knew about it thanks to the film, it still grossed me out (no spoilers here). What a twist though, if I hadn't known the plot already!

I'm definitely intrigued to see how the rest of the books unfold.



No comments:

Post a Comment