Powered By Blogger

Monday 12 December 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Image from Pinterest
I am getting so bad at this whole keeping-to-my-schedule-for-blogging-thing.

I just can't seem to find the motivation or the time at the moment to write any posts, not even the reviews.

Christmas may be the most wonderful time of the year, but it's also the most stressful and time-consuming as well.

You've got to do all your Christmas shopping, wrapping and writing cards. 

You've got to fit in all the Christmassy things you want to do like Winter Wonderland, markets, light switch ons and so on. 

But you've also got a five day work week and weekends choc-o-bloc full with seeing people you won't see over the holidays or trying to relax amidst all of the mayhem.

How are you supposed to do it all?!

Moving swiftly on.

We saw this strange film a few months ago now on Date Night.

We went out for dinner one Friday night at Frankie and Benny's and then popped over to the cinema to see Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

And it was indeed peculiar.

I don't really know where to start.

The plot was odd - a young boy can see creatures from a world most people cannot see. He finds himself thrown into this mysterious world and meets an awful lot of interesting people whom he needs to eventually help save.

Going in and out of this time loop business was enough to give me a headache. It was interesting, don't get me wrong, but so so weird.

Eva Green seems to excel at weirdness and she was no different in this. Terence Stamp (having last seen him as Mordred in Merlin) has certainly shot up - height-wise. His acting wasn't brilliant but it wasn't terrible either. Samuel L. Jackson was terrifying.

The creatures - hollows - were intriguing. I can't think what they reminded me of at the time but I liked that they were invisible to almost everyone, it added more tension.

Funnily enough - even though I don't think he really needed to be in the film, he didn't really have anything to do with it - I liked Chris O'Dowd's character as Abe's father. He added comedic value to the film in a sarcastic kind of way.

I thought it ended way to quickly considering the length of the film itself. I found the main parts to be dragging a bit but the tie-up happened in about five minutes. All too quickly if you ask me.

An interesting dark fantasy film with some intriguing qualities to its characters and plot.

I probably wouldn't watch it again though.

---

Rating:
★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment