Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 2 November 2016

The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo

I have had the best four day weekend ever. Seriously, I can't wait to tell you all about it.

Celebrating four years with the love of my life was just the thing I needed, we both needed.

Look out for that post on Sunday!

Image From Goodreads
[The Emmy Award-winning comedian, actress, writer, and star of Inside Amy Schumer and the acclaimed film Trainwreck has taken the entertainment world by storm with her winning blend of smart, satirical humour. Now, Amy Schumer has written a refreshingly candid and uproariously funny collection of (extremely) personal and observational essays. In The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo, Amy mines her past for stories about her teenage years, her family, relationships, and sex and shares the experiences that have shaped who she is - a woman with the courage to bare her soul to stand up for what she believes in, all while making us laugh. Ranging from the raucous to the romantic, the heartfelt to the harrowing, this highly entertaining and universally appealing collection is the literary equivalent of a night out with your best friends - an unforgettable and fun adventure that you wish could last forever. Whether she's experiencing lust-at-first-sight while in the airport security line, sharing her own views on love and marriage, admitting to being an introvert, or discovering her cross-fit instructor's secret bad habit, Amy Schumer proves to be a bighearted, brave, and thoughtful storyteller that will leave you nodding your heard in recognition, laughing out loud, and sobbing uncontrollably - but only because it's over.]

I was recommended The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo by a colleague at work as we published it not so long ago.

I thought I would give it a shot as I'm trying to broaden my reading genres and autobiographies can be pretty fascinating.

I will say this, though, before I begin: I'm not a fan of Amy Schumer.

I've only seen snippets of her stand up in adverts and talk shows so I guess I can't judge her completely, but still.

However, although I didn't find this book funny (bar a few bits - I only physically laughed out loud once), getting to know her as a person through her life events was beyond compelling.

In fact, I felt more saddened by what she's had to go through than anything else. Some of the things she's had to deal with can only be considered horrific. I don't know how one person can deal with so much. It's no wonder she turned to comedy.

I love the fact that she's had the courage to write about her life though, being honest and upfront about everything. She never painted herself in a light that made you think she was ever trying to make herself look better.

The way it was written was great. I enjoyed the separate chapters on different subject matters a lot.

And her brutal, blunt delivery for particular scenarios were what got me the most though and I definitely respect her more as a woman now, even if I still don't find her particularly funny as a comedian.

I don't really have much else to say on the matter, I think she's one of those people you either find funny or you don't.

And I don't.



✌︎

No comments:

Post a Comment