Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 17 August 2016

The City of Mirrors

By Justin Cronin.

My God, I waited 6 months for this.

I pre-ordered it and everything.

And this epic finale has definitely not disappointed.

I even think this trilogy (The Passage and The Twelve also) has just overtaken The Lord of the Rings as my favourite novels.

Really.



[The plague that almost ended humanity
is finally over. For a new generation of
children, the once-feared virals have
begun to seem almost like imaginary
monsters, creatures from a fairy tale they
no longer believe in.

For Alicia, however, the bad dreams can
never be forgotten. And the voice in
those dreams is leading her towards one
of the great cities of The Time Before.
The ruined city of New York.

Ruined but not empty. For this is the
final refuge of Zero, the first and most
terrible product of the viral experiment.
And Alicia knows that the nightmare can
never truly be over until he is destroyed.

But what she finds is not what she's
expecting.

An opponent at once deadlier and
more human than she could ever have
imagined, who takes her on a terrifying
journey into the past to learn how it all
began.

And to find out how it must end.]

Can I just say? Justin Cronin is a God of literature and I am sorely tempted to pick up The Passage once more and start the trilogy all over again.

Seriously, the plot, the characters, the writing style, the imagery, everything = PERFECT.

I loved the backstory of Zero's character. Although the content of his history was almost mundane, boring in a way, the way it's written and just the pure fact you - as a reader - know what's coming is enough to keep you hooked.

The rest of the original characters (that are still alive) are back twenty years or so on. I must admit I was a little disappointed they were all grandparents at this stage. It created a whole new spin on their situation though.

As always, Cronin draws you in, building up for the tension to hit and he sure didn't hold back.

I don't even know what else there is to say that won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read any of them.

It was a novel of heartbreak, beauty, friendship, love, soul-searching and a new beginning.

I can't suggest you read it enough.

---

Rating:
★★★★★★★★★★



No comments:

Post a Comment