Powered By Blogger

Sunday 21 August 2016

Medieval Rochester

I feel exhaustion deep in my bones this week. 

It seems working hard constantly for months on end is beginning to take it's toll.

Thank God I'm headed home this weekend. 

My mum and step-dad are coming back from Dubai for two weeks and I haven't seen them since early December so that should be nice.

Last weekend, however, I went to Faversham, right after work, to my dad's place.

I've only been there 3 times and only twice on the train after work. 

But I noticed the first time and this time going past a stunning harbour with a crumbling, cobblestoned town.

When we pulled into the station not long after these sights, the sign said 'Rochester'.

And funnily enough that's where my dad suggested we go the following day.




























It  was supposed to be such a beautiful, warm weekend, but the weather wasn't all it was meant to be.

I still had a good time though.

We settled in to watch the Olympics on Friday night, my sister arriving a couple of hours after me.

And then on Saturday we headed to Rochester Castle where there happened to be a medieval festival on as well.


It  was definitely an interesting day.

People genuinely dress up in medieval gear and live like they did back then for an entire weekend.

Imagine that?

Medieval stories always fascinate me - Robin Hood, Merlin and Arthur, The Musketeers.

There's just something about sword fighting and men in armour that will capture my attention every time.


Anyways, I'm getting diverted. After wandering around the stalls for a bit (maybe stalls isn't the right word) and catching Pokemon, we decided to stay and see the falconry show.

There were about five birds they showcased - an eagle, two owls, a falcon and a vulture.

They were incredible.

They introduced their different talents: speed, sight, smell, flying.

I enjoyed watching the vulture the most. Apparently they are rubbish flyers, preferring to hop about. It's hilarious.

Another could watch TV from 2 miles away (if it was so inclined), it's eyesight is amazing.

They really are beautiful creatures.




There was a beautiful cathedral nearby but we didn't go in it in the end, just took photos of it.

We didn't go inside the castle either, but there was probably more to see in the grounds anyway.

We finished off the weekend watching The Hobbit, playing countless games of Uno and reading.



























It  was such a relaxing weekend, I just wish it didn't go so quick!



No comments:

Post a Comment