Powered By Blogger

Sunday 14 August 2016

Feelin' Twenty Two

Okay, I don't really know how to start off this post because it happened so long ago. 

So I'm just gonna jump right in I guess.

To kickstart my twenty second birthday celebrations (17th March, St Patrick's Day), the team and I went to Nando's for lunch and my manager brought in two massive boxes of Krispy Kreme (yes, I went to work on my birthday, only a half day, as it happened to fall on a Thursday and that is my busiest day!)

So after Nando's, my usual lemon and herb butterfly chicken, with creamy mash and garlic bread (yum), I headed home with what was left of the Krispy Kreme's (there was no way I was leaving them at work, they would be demolished on the way to Oxford and in Oxford if needs must).

Now, this bit I cannot remember, so my helpful diary is assisting me. 

Once I got home, apparently I phoned my mum (standard), squeezed in a few episodes of Pretty Little Liars before Adeel came over and then we just watched Gogglebox. I don't even remember what we had for dinner (I don't think I wanted anything takeaway-ish because of the weekend ahead was sure to have lots of bad food).

The next day we woke up reasonably early and drove to Oxford. The drive was surprisingly short compared to what I thought it could have been.

We didn't need to check in until around 3 o'clock and we arrived in Oxford at about 12pm. So instead we went for a wander. Adeel showed me where he worked and we came across a few sites along the way to the town centre. It was absolutely freezing so we kept ducking into places before finally reaching Christ Church.

























We  wanted to see this because of the Harry Potter scenes filmed here and it definitely did not disappoint. It was beautiful. We took a load of snaps and walked around the grounds (unfortunately we couldn't go into the hall as the students were on lunch or something).

Here are a few of the photos we took:









After that we were hungry and found a Burger King in the town centre. Because it was nearly Easter as well, I made Adeel keep stopping off so we could buy some nice eggs. We found a Harry Potter themed shop as well, am surprised I didn't buy anything from there too.

Heading to Eynsham Hall, our residence for the next few days, we found it was quite out of the way - the sat nav didn't even really know where it was (when we'd parked the image on the sat nav claimed we were sat in a big expanse of green in the middle of nowhere and told us to find a road so it could redirect us).


Eynsham Hall is a large manor, with stags heads lining the walls and olden furniture gracing every inch of floor. Our rooms were not in the manor itself but in a bunch of flat-like buildings a short walk away.


The rooms weren't all that impressive, pretty snug, but okay for just crashing in every evening.

After watching a couple of old episodes of Top Gear we decided to head back into Oxford to go bowling. I can't remember if we played one or two games, but it was quick with just the two of us. We then proceeded to play pool and air hockey in the arcade.




We almost went for dinner at Frankie and Benny's but there was a 45 minute wait and it was already about 9 o'clock so we grabbed some sandwiches/readymade pasta from Sainsbury's instead and headed back to the hotel to watch We're The Millers.

I didn't sleep all that well that night (I seem to have a weird thing where I have trouble sleeping in a new place for the first night) so the following morning we missed breakfast because of our unexpected lie-in.

Once we were up though, we got ready and drove to Bicester village. The shops were amazing, all lined out like neat little pastel coloured houses. We looked in quite a lot of them, me taking it all in in total awe as Adeel had seen it before.

I finally decided to purchase my first high end product - a DKNY handbag (I originally wanted a Michael Kors one but there was a queue outside the shop by the time I decided I wanted one and they were more expensive anyway!)

We stopped in one of their restaurants as we'd skipped breakfast and I had a really nice chicken and avocado burger thing (I think) with peppermint tea.

After we'd had our fill of browsing the shops (and going back to Ralph Lauren about 4 times before not actually buying anything), we headed back to Eynsham Hall and wandered around the grounds, taking lots of snaps and coming across a wedding party in the main hall.




Eynsham Hall is actually where an episode of Top Gear was filmed - or part of it. It was kind of why we ended up picking to stay here in the end, oddly enough.

It had a small maze by the water fountains which was creepy, but the grounds themselves were massive.




We stopped in the Gun Room Bar for a bit and ordered some food to take back to our room. Think I just had my usual, Chicken Caesar Salad. Adeel had a burger in which I stole his bacon from as he can't have it.

The Day After Tomorrow was on so we watched that and then called it a night.

The following morning, after a slightly better nights sleep, we made it to a buffet-style breakfast in time before we had to check out. I remember just having a pastry and some cheese and ham. Adeel went for a little bit more with hash browns, grapes, a pastry and a yoghurt.



We felt like the youngest people there, in fact I think we were, so we felt a little out of place the entire time but it was an enjoyable experience and a lovely way to celebrate my birthday.

Let's just hope if we ever revisit it's slightly warmer!



No comments:

Post a Comment