Powered By Blogger

Sunday 7 February 2016

How Many Is Too Many?


When I was in college I would read 4 or 5 books, on the go, at one time. All different genres. All different lengths. Sooo many different characters to remember.

I don't know how I managed it.

I can barely keep one going by itself at the moment, let alone alternate between a handful. I used to read a chapter per evening, switching up the books - or, if I was more excited by one in particular, I would read more of that one and then pick up a different one a few nights later.

Now though, I barely find time to read. I've gotten into a habit - a good or bad one I don't know - of reading on my lunch break - at my desk - as well as most nights before bed. It's a good way for me to relax and get away from the screen. Although I'm not entirely sure it gives my eyes any more of a break.

I'm reading 2 completely different books at the moment - Jurassic Park and The Complete Illustrated Works of the Brothers Grimm. I try to read the Grimm fairytales before I go to bed as they tend to be short and to the point, whereas Jurassic Park sometimes goes into depth within science or mathematics and it's hard to follow at times. Especially when I'm tired. 

Although this hasn't gone completely to plan as I find Jurassic Park way more captivating and I find myself picking that up instead of the Brothers Grimm (I've been reading the fairytales on and off for about a year now, there are so many!!)

I've recently joined goodreads in an attempt to spur me on to read more this year. I've set my goal as 30 - which is quite low compared to some - but I think this might be manageable for me. I've got a tonne of books lined up and goodreads really helps to find more new books as well as being able to give reviews, ratings and suggestions.

How many books do you read in one go? Do you believe there is any benefit from reading more than one at a time?


No comments:

Post a Comment