Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 3 May 2017

The Revenant

By Michael Punke




























[Hugh Glass isn't afraid to die. He's done it once already.

When expert tracker Glass is viciously mauled by a bear, death
seems inevitable. The two men ordered to remain with him flee,
stripping him of his rifle and hatchet and leaving him to die alone.
But soon a grim, horribly scarred figure is seen wandering, asking
after two men, one with a gun that seems to good for him...]

I'd heard good things about the film for The Revenant and although I haven't yet seen it, I thought the book would be along the same lines.

To be honest, I found it kind of boring. There were bits that were gripping and tense, but considering it's based on a true story I knew Glass had to survive all of these horrific things that happened to him so he could have told them.

I did find it interesting finding out about life in the wilderness, surviving off of the bare minimum, but I got all of the groups of people confused constantly, not knowing who was fighting on what side.

The detail of the bear attack was gruesome and definitely not one to read whilst on your lunch break as I did. But I don't understand why everyone made such a big deal about it? Maybe it's just the way it was portrayed in the film.

Hm, I don't know. I didn't see the point in Glass's search for revenge really, especially after he'd been through so much. I get that you'd want revenge if two people left you to die, but if you were pretty much on the brink of death and they were risking their lives for your failing one, is there really any point in going after them? Can you blame them?

The ending was also rather flat. Just not my cup of tea.



No comments:

Post a Comment