Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 27 July 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse

Like with City of Glass, this review (along with Alice Through the Looking Glass - to come still) has been a long time coming.

In fact, it's been so long I probably can't even write a proper review because I can only remember snippets of each film.

Having said that, I remember the overall feeling I felt after them.

Image from Pinterest
This one I felt was a good film. I, at least, enjoyed it as much as any of the other films in the X-Men franchise.

The plot was standard with there being a bad guy trying to take over the world and the X-Men needing to stop him as usual. Although hardcore comic book fans have complained that it was rubbish compared to it's origins, simply not doing it justice.

I enjoyed the introduction of the well-known characters (Cyclops, Jean and Storm) in their younger days. I particularly think Sophie Turner did a wonderful job as Jean. It was refreshing to see her play somebody who wasn't a helpless high-lord's daughter for once (although not so helpless in the most recent series of GoT, I must admit).

I wasn't entirely convinced by Apocalypse's character. I thought he would be scarier or more dominating or something. He just seemed a bit merh to be honest.

I did love the Egyptian theme though, there's something fascinating about it all and the locations/set was pretty magnificent.

As for the four horsemen accompanying Apocalypse, I thought they, too, fell a little flat (except Magneto of course). I just wasn't convinced they were the all powerful group. It was too obvious that the X-Men would win because, well, they always do.

Two things I really really enjoyed though:

1. The way they showed Jean's capabilities even this early on was pretty interesting. Even in the early X-Men you don't really believe how powerful she is.

2. The scene with Erik and his family. It's awful, absolutely heartbreaking, but probably the most perfectly shot scene in the entire film.

---

Rating: ★★★★☆



No comments:

Post a Comment