Powered By Blogger

Sunday 5 June 2016

Is Romance Dead?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not talking specifics here, I'm not complaining about my own relationship because, as far as that goes, it's great. I honestly couldn't feel any happier at the moment.

I'm talking general romance.

Over the years, I've heard a lot about how our generation aren't very romantic, especially compared to the likes of those brought up decades ago.

Like, what is it that made them so romantic? What is romance exactly?

Is it that they did actual dates, that guys literally came to pick a girl up for one, courted them, bought them a bouquet of flowers unexpectedly, treated her with respect? I mean, what does any of that even mean anymore?

We may blame guys for not sticking their necks out trying to be romantic because, let's face it, liking someone's picture on social media is much easier than engaging in a proper conversation ey? Guys these days are too worried about what other guys will think if they actually make effort for a girl, worried if it'll damage their reputability or their masculinity.

But girls aren't exactly all prim and proper either. We're as bad as the guys, revealing a little too much (whether that be skin or about ourselves to strangers), drinking too much and just not being, well, very classy.

I honestly think technology - although it's great - has ruined romance. What do you reach for first thing in the morning, your phone or your partner? Or out for a meal, who actually talks anymore? Everyone is constantly glued to their phones.

We idolise these ridiculous relationships on TV, we are obsessed with how we look and how we are perceived by others, we are ego-ridden.

Okay, there are still some old romantics at heart out there, but they are vastly outnumbered.

I always believed I was born in the wrong era. I idolise the 1920's to 1960's and yet I was born in the era for ass-slapping and drunken one night stands instead.

I saw a picture the other week about how we're coming up to 2020 soon and how we should bring back the 1920's approach. I couldn't agree more.

What do you think of romance today - do you prefer it over what used to be?



No comments:

Post a Comment