Powered By Blogger

Thursday 1 June 2017

Fevre Dream

By George R R Martin































[Abner Marsh has had his dearest wish come true - he has built the Fevre Dream,
the finest steamship ever to sail the Mississippi. Abner hopes to race the boat
some day, but his partner is making it hard for him to realise his ambition.
Joshua York put up the money for the Fevre Dream, but now rumours have
started about the company he keeps, his odd eating habits and strange hours.
As the Dream sails the great river, it leaves in its wake one too many dark tales,
until Abner is forced to face down the man who helped his dreams become reality.]

This was meant to go up last night but we seemed to be having wifi issues and you know me, still not scheduling my posts yet. 

Whoops. But here it is, the review for a George R R Martin book that isn't Game of Thrones!

Hm. I thought George R R Martin and vampires would be a good mix considering his other fantasy works. 

Alas, I was mistaken.

I really wanted to like Fevre Dream but I just wasn't taken with it.

I loved the characters. Abner was great, stubborn, set in his old ways, but loyal and courageous. 

Joshua was a true gentleman (apart from the one minor fact that he's a vampire), he sticks to his cause through and through no matter how tough it gets. 

And then there's Julian. Pure evil and a power-hungry bully. They were all written so well, that is definitely one thing Martin does extremely well - character development!

The plot though, I wasn't sure about. I can't put my finger on it, but something was just off. 

There were some great tense moments in amongst all of the river-boating stuff. 

Maybe it was the period it was set in? Or maybe it just wasn't like any other vampire novels I've ever read before. 

But the quiet moments didn't make me want to keep reading, I found myself getting a little bored if I'm honest.

The setting on the river and the slave plantations were pretty interesting though. The imagery was fantastic incorporating all of the corruption and power battles.

Bit of a weird one overall.



📖

No comments:

Post a Comment