Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Honeyville

By Daisy Waugh.

I apologise for my lack of a post again even though I promised one on Sunday or Monday. Time just ran away from me before we left for Jersey and then our flight was delayed on the Monday so I got back later than expected and was so tired I forgot to write a post again.

Routine will once again be my way of life once I am resettled and out of holiday mode!



























[The town of Trinidad, Colorado,
was a tough place to be a woman in 1913.
But it was the best place in the West to find one,
if you had the cash. Honeyville, they used to call it.

A murder throws Inez and Dora together - two women from
opposite sides of a town built for men. Against all odds,
the well born girl and the high class hooker are drawn together
in friendship... But this is a place that is rotten to the core,
and beyond the rustling of silk skirts, the dancing and laughter,
deadly unrest is building...

Welcome to Honeyville - a town living by its own rules,
where nothing is quite as it seems.

A story inspired by a lost chapter
in American History.]


 Now this book, I picked up purely because I saw it was about the war. Just not the war I thought. Whoops.

That, in turn, made me like this book only. I didn't love it.

I was intrigued by the juxtaposition of the friendship between a hooker girl and an upper class girl.

Dora - I really liked. She was down to earth and relatable, even though she was a hooker. I had a weird on-off thing with Inez though. She had some lovely, sweet moments, but at times I wanted to throttle her - especially when she was being a brat!

I liked Xavier's character as well. His and Dora's friendship was quite heartwarming.

There were a few twists and turns I didn't see coming. Some were funny little snippets that gave the seriousness of the story a brief break, but the one big one (even though VERY obvious from the beginning which my stupid brain somehow neglected to pick up on) was kinda heartbreaking.

I also don't know whether this fault lies with me or the storytelling, but I kept getting confused in what the strikers were fighting for and whose side Inez was on. It all got a bit muddled and I was never truly engaged with it for that reason. Maybe I just need to brush up on my history of mining strikes, but everything was all higgledy piggledy.

I did enjoy the scenery though and the era it was set in. It had beautiful imagery but the overall story was just a bit, well, odd.


---

Jersey posts to come soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment