Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 5 October 2016

The Mortal Instruments: Book Four, City of Fallen Angels

By Cassandra Clare.



[Clary is back in New York and life is good: she's training to 
be a Shadowhunter and is finally able to call Jace her boyfriend. 
But nothing comes without a price. When Jace inexplicably 
begins to pull away from her, Clary is forced to acknowledge 
that she herself has set in motion a chain of events that could 
lead to the loss of everything she loves. Even Jace.]

I actually loved this book.

I was a little worried at first that Clare might have gone too far with writing another three novels in this series on top of the first three. 

Would it just be the same sort of stuff repeated again from the other instalments or would it be better? 

But, I'm happy to say, she genuinely did a good job, really allowing the characters to grow. They are so in depth that I don't find any of them boring at all.

I still find Clary and Jace to be rather annoying as a couple (and Clary on her own), but I always seem to feel that way about the protagonists in YA fiction. 

I'm still rooting for them, don't get me wrong, it just seems to be the same thing all the time with Jace feeling sorry for himself, like he's never good enough for Clary. Blah blah blah, man up.

I love Simon and Isabelle's weird relationship in this one. 

He has slowly become my favourite character I think. He's really grown a great deal and it's interesting to see his continuing struggle as a vampire. 

Isabelle really grew on me as well. It's not that I didn't like her in the others, she just came across more stuck up and almost snobbish. But in this one, she shows some vulnerability.

Alec and Magnus weren't in it an awful lot and I kind of thought their tiff was a bit pointless. But, I liked the addition of Jordan/Kyle (did not see that twist coming!) and the overall villain was definitely an interesting one, one I wasn't expecting. 

I've always seen her character come up in other vampire-related TV programmes but in this she was a demon which was a different spin on it (don't wanna give that much away!)

I definitely enjoyed the plot. I don't know what I was expecting from a continuation but this wasn't it. This didn't disappoint though! 

I'm super intrigued by the little revelations we've found out about Magnus's past that are starting to link up with the Clockwork novels (am currently just finishing book two of these) and can't wait to see how they all wrap up!



✌︎

No comments:

Post a Comment