Powered By Blogger

Sunday 9 October 2016

The Girl on the Train

By Paula Hawkins.

Narrated by Clare Corbett, India Fisher and Louise Brealey.

I've timed this perfectly as the film was released just a few days ago, muhahaha.

All coincidence of course.

Image From Goodreads
[The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

EVERY DAY THE SAME Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She's even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life - as she sees it - is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY And then she sees something shocking. It's only a minute until the train moves on, but it's enough. Now everything's changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?]

I'm kind of a little bit disappointed with this.

Like, I don't even know if I really enjoyed it or not. I feel like I should like it more because it was so well-received by everyone else.

I started off enjoying it. I was gripped and curious for the most part.

I love the way Hawkins created really detailed characters, realistic ones at that. 

The details - or lack there of - for Rachel's alcoholic tendencies and her blackouts helped add to the whole mystery.

Although, I loathed both her and Anna pretty much throughout the entire thing - even their voices got on my nerves, so a well placed voice cast I'll have to admit. 

They were both such horrible types of people.

But I can't pinpoint exactly what made me lose my enjoyment out of it in the end. 

I just know that once I'd twigged who the killer was, I didn't care for the rest of the novel.

I liked Megan's character and her backstory, it was heartbreaking and horrible. 

Plus, there was the twist with who the killer actually was, but, yeah, I felt we found out too early somehow.

Meh, I don't know, mediocre at best.

I am looking forward to the film version though, it looks brilliant and from what I've seen of the trailer Emily Blunt looks like she'll nail the character of Rachel.



✌︎

No comments:

Post a Comment