Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 13 April 2016

The Maze Runner

By James Dashner.

























[When the lift cranks open, the
only thing Thomas remembers
is his first name. But he's
not alone - an army of boys
welcomes him to the Glade,
an encampment at the centre
of a terrible maze. The Gladers
have no idea why they're there,
or what's happened to the world
outside. And following the arrival
of a girl with a message,
they must find a way out -
or die.]

Wowwwwwww. I enjoyed the film version but this was on another level. Absolutely brilliant beginning to a series. Fast paced, action packed, loveable characters (minus the obvious few) and a whole abundance of mystery.

It was nice to feel like we, as a reader, were in the same boat as Thomas - we find out about the maze and what little they know of the outside world and the people that put them there when he does, learning as we go which was incredibly infuriating but was done to great effect of keeping us in the dark until the right moment.

It was a shame that I couldn't build up my own picture of each character having previously seen the film beforehand, but I couldn't remember the grievers so I had my imagination to thank for that one! They were creepy and unique and disgusting all rolled into one, it was great. I loved the added drama of Teresa's arrival and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her and Thomas's relationship grow in the next one.

The ending was heartbreaking and dramatic and so many twists were thrown at the reader it was hard to keep up. My head was spinning with the tension. But I loved it. And although the Gladers appear to trust the newcomers, I know I sure as hell don't.

Can't wait to see how the next one unfolds!

No comments:

Post a Comment