Powered By Blogger

Thursday 15 January 2015

Divergent Series Review


Okay, so I've decided to do my first book review - or trilogy review as I've read all 3 now. I'm really really into reading books. I always have at least one on the go. I remember in college, once, when I had four on the go. I have no idea how I managed to keep up with each individual storyline?! But anyways, the Divergent Series. Eep.

If you haven't read them, or do not want to know the ending or any details, I would look away now. I can't guarantee to keep my mouth shut on what happens!

Title:
Divergent, 
Insurgent,
Allegiant

Author:
Veronica Roth

Plot:
I thoroughly enjoyed all three books, but as pre-warned by my trusty friend, the third one was a slight disappointment.



Starting with Divergent, it was fast-paced and action-packed. I love the first person narrative as I feel you get more information on your protagonist, whereas you get less information for fellow characters - but this makes it all the more interesting in trying to figure them out! The ending is slightly different than the film, but I think the film changed it so as to have more of a dramatic fight scene at the end. I did enjoy more scenes between Tris and Four shown and the growth of their relationship. It also highlighted a lot more of the problems they were all dealing with, whether it be to do with their previous factions or jealousy/fear at being thrown out of their new one (the film misses out a crucial - or so I think - scene with Edward getting stabbed in the eye by Peter).



With Insurgent, as with its predecessor, I was enthralled all the way through and could barely put it down. I have to say, I love how Peter was one of those characters who kept switching sides all the way through - definitely kept you on your toes! The biggest shocker of all - beating the surprise appearance of Four's mother and the video message at the end revealing the outside world - was Caleb's betrayal! WHAT? I couldn't believe it. How could he betray his sister, his blood, for Jeanine Matthews?



Now, Allegiant. I had guessed from my friend's comments that someone pretty major died at the end. I hate to say I was right. But it wasn't who I initially thought it might be (thank God). Although, that's kind of bittersweet, because I definitely didn't want the actual character who died to be killed off either! The plot for this one was a bit odd if I'm honest. It was quite different from the previous two as the majority of it was based outside of the faction system in Chicago. I did love, though, how it switched between Tris' and Four's points of view.

Characters:
Beatrice 'Tris' Prior
Whether it's because I saw the film first or not, I don't know, but I didn't have too many problems with Tris. She got a little bit on my nerves when she kept being a tad selfish in Insurgent with her lack of respect for her own life. It also annoyed me that she couldn't be completely honest with Four for a long long time. But apart from that, she wasn't your usual whiney protagonist - which I greatly appreciated.


Tobias 'Four' Eaton
Again, I may be biased because of seeing the film, but I have to say I'm a little bit in love with Four. Although he was one of those broody characters, in the first one, that had a habit of either saving her life or ignoring her, once they were together together, it was fine. His brokenness/lack of self confidence was kind of cute.


Eric
Marcus Eaton

I feel all the other characters were well-developed as well, which is definitely a plus, and I definitely despised Eric, Marcus and Jeanine throughout - and even Caleb after his betrayal!

Jeanine Matthews
Caleb Prior

Ending:
I must admit, after finishing this series I felt a little empty. I normally feel that way after finishing a tv series completely or a book series (which is a little sad, I know), but it normally only lasts that evening. Whereas, when I finished this series I was just a bit in shock - hence why I'm only just posting my review (I finished reading them before the New Year!)

Seriously, if you don't want to know the ending, look away!

I expected the majority of the way through that Four would die and, to be honest, even when I was reading Tris' final scene (and Four's reaction and confirmation later on) I didn't believe that she was dead. I. Couldn't. Believe. It.

Four and the rest went back to Chicago - no more factions - and they all grouped together a bit later on to spread Tris' ashes. The fact that Four plucked up the courage to go on the zipwire to let her ashes fly behind him was really really cute. This made it very bittersweet for me.

I definitely had a little sob.

Film Adaptation:

The film was amazing in my opinion. Loved the casting (especially Mr Theo James), loved the pacing, the set, the costumes, everything.

Absolutely brilliant and cannot wait for Insurgent in March!





:)

* The pictures of each character are from pin interest and the trailer from YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment