Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 1 February 2017

The Fall (The Strain Trilogy, #2)

By Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

Narrated by Daniel Oreskes

Image From Audible
[Humans have been displaced at the top of the food chain, and now understand - to their outright horror - what it is to be not the consumer, but the consumed. Ephraim Goodweather, director of the New York office of the Centers for Disease control, is one of the few humans who understands what is really happening. Vampires have arrived in New York City, and their condition is contagious. If they cannot be contained, the entire world is at risk of infection. As Eph becomes consumed with the battle against the total corruption of humanity, his ex-wife, Kelly, now a vampire herself, is ever-more determined to claim their son, Zack. As the Biblical origins of the Ancient ones are gradually revealed, Eph learns that there is a greater, more terrible plan in store for the human race - worse even than annihilation...]

I actually wanted to write about the Chinese New Year Celebrations we went to on Sunday but I feel that it deserves more of my time and concentration, so for now, here is another review.

I quite enjoyed this second instalment, but not as much as the first one. I didn't feel as engaged.

Although there was the imminent threat of the vampires, obviously, it wasn't as immediate for me anymore because, well, the outbreak is the most exciting part, right? It has immediate consequences of who gets infected and who survives. So once the main outbreak has claimed the majority of the human race it doesn't quite seem as scary (obviously I wouldn't be saying that for a real virus outbreak).

As I'd already seen the series, I knew somewhat of the plot (although I feel like it almost lacked in this one, not a whole lot actually happened) so wasn't too surprised about what did happen.

Eichorst made his appearance (hallelujah!) but he wasn't as horrible as he is in the series which is a little bit disappointing. Still no Dutch (I reckon they used their "artistic licence" for the show and created her).

But I do like Zach better in the books. He's a right little twat in the TV show (good technical term there) and I don't particularly like him, but in this - so far - he's alright.

I'm a little surprised by the ending of this one though. Something that didn't happen in the TV series is definitely something good as I didn't see it coming. I'm now perplexed as to what to expect in the final one!



No comments:

Post a Comment